Support for carers

Telford & Wrekin Council and NHS Telford and Wrekin values and acknowledges the contribution made by family Carers in providing care and support to family members, friends and neighbours across the borough. Locally, we recognise carers play a vital role and should receive appropriate help and support. This support can come in all shapes and sizes as caring affects us in different ways.

Local Offer for Carers

As part of our joint funding arrangement between Telford & Wrekin Council and Telford & Wrekin Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) the following services are offered free for family carers who are registered with the Carers Centre. For further information please visit the take time for yourself pages or contact the Carers Centre.

Support provided by Telford & Wrekin Council

  • Carers Assessment If you are a carer in the borough then Telford & Wrekin Council may be able to offer you some support, both practical and financial to purchase respite that suits your personal needs. Following the assessment you may be offered a carers direct payment award. This is only accessible following a Carers Assessment. Remember, this assessment is separate to the person you care for may receive. For further information please contact the Carers Centre on 01952 240 209.

Specialist services (funded by NHS Telford and Wrekin)

  • Moving and Handling Advice to Family Carers: Increase your confidence in safe handling and take steps to improve your physical well-being. For an assessment call 01952 677691. View information leaflet.
  • Admiral Nursing Service: Provides information, advice and support to family carers who look after someone with Dementia. For further information contact 01952 607782 and/or speak to your GP. Take a look at our local Dementia offer leaflet.
  • Counselling Support: Access to sensitive, supportive and confidential counselling.  Focusing on all aspects of carer support relating to changes in relationships, changes of role, loss and bereavement. You can access this support following a carers assessment. For further details speak to the Carers Centre or your Social Worker.

Telford & Wrekin Council has put young adult carers on the map

Local councils across the UK should be taking action to find young adult carers and tell them about their rights to information and support. The On the Map campaign is gathering information about what local councils are doing. Find out more about Telford & Wrekins actions to find young adult carers by visiting On the Map.

If you would like to know more, please contact the Carers Centre.